What requires a building permit?
- New construction, including additions, remodeling and repairs; any structural changes to interior or exterior.
- Construction of any detached structures over 200 s.f. with single floor. (150 s.f. for commercial structures)
- Change of occupancy of any structure or part thereof.
- Demolition of any detached structure or part thereof over 200 s.f. (150 s.f. for commercial structures)
- New or replacement or addition to any heating, air conditioning, plumbing or electrical system.
- Minor, non-structural repairs.
- Re-siding, re-roofing.
- Gutters, drainpipes, and fences under 72 inches and retaining walls under 4 feet.
- Sidewalks and driveways (a driveway does require a driveway permit from the Director of Public Works).
- Cabinets, counter-tops, floor coverings, paint & paper.
- Pools less then 24 inches deep.
- Playground equipment.
- Decks not exceeding 200 s.f. in area, that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve an exit door.
State building code separates the application process into residential and non-residential uses. Please submit the appropriate information on the application form.