Building Permit General Information and Application Forms

Mike Jasmin, Code Enforcement Officer
603-352-7411 ext. 105
P.O. Box 10009, Swanzey NH 03446

Construction Requirements
Information on Town building code and zoning construction requirements: 
For answers to questions regarding the building permit application process or requirements, please contact the Code Enforcement Officer at 352-7411 x 105 or by email at

What requires a building permit?
  • New construction, including additions, remodeling and repairs; any structural changes to interior or exterior.  
  • Construction of any detached structures over 200 s.f. with single floor. (150 s.f. for commercial structures)
  • Change of occupancy of any structure or part thereof.
  • Demolition of any detached structure or part thereof over 200 s.f. (150 s.f. for commercial structures)
  • New or replacement or addition to any heating, air conditioning, plumbing or electrical system.
What does not require a building permit?
  • Minor, non-structural repairs.
  • Re-siding, re-roofing.
  • Gutters, drainpipes, and fences under 72 inches and retaining walls under 4 feet.
  • Sidewalks and driveways (a driveway does require a driveway permit from the Director of Public Works).
  • Cabinets, counter-tops, floor coverings, paint & paper.
  • Pools less then 24 inches deep.
  • Playground equipment.
  • Decks not exceeding 200 s.f. in area, that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve an exit door.
If you’re not sure whether a permit is necessary, please contact the Code Enforcement Officer.

State building code separates the application process into residential and non-residential uses. Please submit the appropriate information on the application form.

Updated with us